Baroness Rosie Boycott
, Food Campaigner, Activist, Writer, Trustee and Chair, Food Foundation/Feeding Britain and Veg Power
Westminster Insight’s Child Nutrition Digital Workshop
- Jason O'Rourke, Headteacher and Food Education Speaker, Washingborough Academy
- Nathan Atkinson, Founder, Rethink Food
- Anna Taylor, Executive Director, Food Foundation
- Greta Defeyter, Professor in Developmental Psychology, University of Northumbria
- Professor Marion Hetherington, Biopsychologist, University of Leeds
will set out a road-map for improving child nutrition with a focus on dietary and nutritional consciousness
at home and at school. We will explore the impact of the pandemic, crisis levels of food insecurity
and rising obesity
in children and young people.
Concerns about the nutritional health
and dietary needs
of children and young people are not new. The issue has been fast-tracked into the national consciousness by the COVID 19 pandemic
, with the Marcus Rashford campaign
providing a high-profile platform upon which activism for school-child access to food was aired.
Research from the British Nutrition Foundation
shows that poor child nutrition leads to a host of avoidable non-communicable diseases
, that can blight a child’s development,educational achievement
, mental and physical health
into adulthood. Potentially creating a ‘ticking time-bomb’ of a burden on the NHS.
This workshop will address these issues, provoke discussion, and equip participants with the knowledge and tools to head off this crisis within our schools and youth communities.